METHODS AND MATERIALS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The value of an educational video before consultation with a radiation oncologist.J Cancer Educ. 2013; 28: 306-313https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-013-0473-1
- The experiences of women receiving brachytherapy for cervical cancer: A systematic literature review.Radiography (Lond). 2018; 24: 396-403https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2018.06.002
- Posttraumatic stress disorder after high-dose-rate brachytherapy for cervical cancer with 2 fractions in 1 application under spinal/epidural anesthesia: incidence and risk factors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 89: 260-267https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.02.018
- Patient communication prior to initial consultation for palliative radiotherapy.JCO. 2016; 34 (30–): 30https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2016.34.26_suppl.30
- Patients’ informational needs while undergoing brachytherapy for cervical cancer.Int J Qual Health Care. 2016; 28: 200-208https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzv119
- Effects of preparatory patient education for radiation oncology patients.Cancer. 1985; 56: 1056-1061https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19850901)56
- Evaluation of the effects of pre-treatment education on self-efficacy and anxiety in patients receiving radiation therapy: a pilot study.J Med Imaging and Radiation Sci. 2012; 43: 221-227https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmir.2012.05.002
- Health literacy and communication quality in health care organizations.J Health Commun. 2010; 15: 102-115https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2010.499981
- Institute of Medicine (U.S.), Committee on Health Literacy.Health Literacy, Washington, D.C.2004
- Low health literacy and health outcomes: an updated systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 97-107https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-155-2-201107190-00005
- Association of health literacy among nulliparous individuals and maternal and neonatal outcomes.JAMA Network Open. 2021; 4e2122576https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.22576
- Effective physician-patient communication and health outcomes: a review.CMAJ. 1995; 152: 1423-1433
- Information sheets for patients with acute chest pain: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2009; 338: 541https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b541
Radiology (ACR) RS of NA (RSNA) and AC of. brachytherapy. Radiologyinfo.org. Available at https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info/brachy. Accessed November 16, 2022.
Treatment Types - Gynecologic Cancers - RTAnswers.org. RTAnswers. Available at https://rtanswers.org/Cancer-Types/Gynecologic-Cancers/Treatment-Types. Accessed November 16, 2022.
What is Brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society, Reston, VA. Available at https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/resources/for-patients/what-is-brachytherapy/. Accessed November 16, 2022.
Cervical Cancer Radiation Therapy Cervical cancer radiation treatment. Available at https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervical-cancer/treating/radiation.html. Accessed November 16, 2022.
Radiation Therapy for Endometrial Cancer. Available at https://www.cancer.org/cancer/endometrial-cancer/treating/radiation.html. Accessed November 16, 2022.
Brachytherapy for cancer - NCI. Available at https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/types/radiation-therapy/brachytherapy. Accessed November 16, 2022.
- Brachytherapy for Cervix Cancer Treatment.Targeting Cancer. 2022; (Available at) (Accessed November 16)
Patient Education - Brochures - American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) - American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO). ASTRO. Available at https://www.astro.org/ Patient-Care-and-Research/Provider-Resources/Patient-Brochures. Accessed November 16, 2022.
- Readability of patient education materials from professional societies in radiation oncology: are we meeting the national standard?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 1108-1109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.12.035
- Readability of patient education materials in radiation oncology-are we improving?.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2019; 9: 435-440https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2019.06.005
- Readability assessment of online gynecologic oncology patient education materials from major governmental, non-profit and pharmaceutical organizations.Gynecol Oncol. 2019; 154: 616-621https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2019.06.026
- Health Literacy: A Manual for Clinicians.Chicago, IL: American Medical Association Foundation. 2003: 31-35
Clear & Simple. National Institutes of Health (NIH). Available at https://www.nih.gov/institutes-nih/nih-office-director/office-communications-public-liaison/clear-communication/clear-simple. Accessed August 21, 2020.
Arya R, Ichikawa T, Callender B, et al. Communicating the External Beam Radiation Experience (CEBRE): perceived benefits of a graphic narrative patient education tool. Pract Radiat Oncol 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2019.09.001.
- Assessment of use, specificity, and readability of written clinical informed consent forms for patients with cancer undergoing radiotherapy.JAMA Oncol. 2019; e190260https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.0260
- Development of the Patient Education Materials Assessment Tool (PEMAT): a new measure of understandability and actionability for print and audiovisual patient information.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 96: 395-403https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.05.027
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
- SUS: a “quick and dirty”usability scale.in: Jordan P.W. Thomas B. Weerdmeester B.A. McClelland I.L. Usability Evaluation In Industry. CRC Press, Earley, United Kingdom1996: 189-194
- The development of a six-item short-form of the state scale of the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI).Br J Clin Psychol. 1992; 31: 301-306https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1992.tb00997.x
- Grounded theory in medical education research: AMEE Guide No. 70.Med Teach. 2012; 34: 850-861https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.704439
- Using pictographs to enhance recall of spoken medical instructions.Patient Educ Couns. 1998; 35: 83-88https://doi.org/10.1016/s0738-3991(98)00065-2
- Using pictographs to enhance recall of spoken medical instructions II.Patient Educ Couns. 2001; 43: 231-242https://doi.org/10.1016/s0738-3991(00)00171-3
- The role of pictures in improving health communication: a review of research on attention, comprehension, recall, and adherence.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 61: 173-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2005.05.004
- Graphic Embodiments.(editors) Leuven University Press, Leuven2021
- Autography as auto-therapy: psychic pain and the graphic memoir.J Med Humanit. 2011; 32: 353-366https://doi.org/10.1007/s10912-011-9158-0
- Safety practices and opportunities for improvement in brachytherapy: a patient safety practices survey of the American Brachytherapy Society membership.Brachytherapy. 2020; 19: 762-766https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brachy.2020.08.014
- Radiotherapy practices in postoperative endometrial cancer: a survey of the ABS membership.Brachytherapy. 2019; 18: 741-746https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brachy.2019.07.004
- Informed Consent before coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention from the patient's perspective: a picture is worth a thousand words.Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc. 2022; 41101076https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcha.2022.101076
- What matters most: randomized controlled trial of breast cancer surgery conversation aids across socioeconomic strata.Cancer. 2021; 127: 422-436https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33248
- Impact of an educational comic to enhance patient-physician-electronic health record engagement: prospective observational study.JMIR Hum Factors. 2021; 8: e25054https://doi.org/10.2196/25054
- Treatment and outcomes of cervical cancer in low- and middle-income countries.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2021; 33: e363-e371https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2021.07.001
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Disclosures: Mr. Avila reports research support for this work from the Pritzker School of Medicine Summer Research Program and the American Society for Clinical Oncology Conquer Cancer Medical Student Rotation for Underrepresented Populations. Professor Ichikawa reports grant support from the Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence. Dr. Golden reports grant funding from Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence, National Institutes of Health, and Radiation Oncology Institute. He is the Manager of RadOncQuestions.com and Chair of the Radiation Oncology Education Collaborative Study Group. All authors report no proprietary or commercial interest in any product mentioned or concept discussed in this article. This work was supported by the Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence, The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, the American Society for Clinical Oncology Conquer Cancer Medical Student Rotation for Underrepresented Populations, and the National Institutes of Health [NIH CTSA UL1 TR000430]. The funding sources had no involvement in conduct of this research or the preparation of the manuscript.