This is a multicenter Phase I–II trial endorsed by the GEC-ESTRO Breast Working Group, to analyze if very accelerated partial breast irradiation (VAPBI) with multicatheter interstitial brachytherapy is feasible and safe compared with the standard APBI treatment in 4–5 days for early stage breast carcinomas.
Methods and Materials
We have included 81 patients with pT1-2 pN0 invasive carcinomas after breast-conserving surgery. Between August 2017 and July 2019, 33 women received high-dose-rate brachytherapy, four fractions of 6.25 Gy in 2–3 days, and 48 patients received three fractions of 7.45 Gy in 2 days. Thirty-six patients were implanted perioperatively and 45 postoperatively. Mean age was 68 (51–90). Free surgical margins were of 2 mm or greater.
Acute effects were 11% dermatitis, 18.5% hematoma, 3.7% infection, and 14.8% pain. At a median followup of 20 months (range 8–35), no relapse has occurred. Pigmentation changes in the entrance and exit of tubes were visible in 16%, but 1 year later, few cases remained. Patients developed G1-2 induration or fibrosis in 18.5% and 2.5%, respectively. No patient developed telangiectasia. The cosmetic outcome was good/excellent in 97.5% and fair in 2.5%.
VAPBI with multicatheter interstitial brachytherapy using four fractions of 6.25 Gy or three fractions of 7.45 Gy in two or 3 days is feasible. No excess has been observed in acute effects. At a mean followup of 20 months, late side effects seem to be similar to standard fractionation. VAPBI in two to 3 days is beneficial for the patients and reduces the workload of the brachytherapy units.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brachytherapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Breast-conserving therapy with partial or whole breast irradiation: ten-year results of the Budapest randomized trial.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 108: 197-202
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation using intensity-modulated radiotherapy versus whole breast irradiation: 5-year survival analysis of a phase 3 randomised controlled trial.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 451-463
- 5-year results of accelerated partial breast irradiation using sole interstitial multicatheter brachytherapy versus whole-breast irradiation with boost after breast-conserving surgery for low-risk invasive and in-situ carcinoma of the female breast: a randomised, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 229-238
- IMPORT Trialists. Partial-breast radiotherapy after breast conservation surgery for patients with early breast cancer (UK IMPORT LOW trial): 5-year results from a multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1048-1060
- Primary results of NSABP B-39/RTOG 0413 (NRG Oncology): a randomized phase III study of conventional whole breast irradiation (WBI) versus partial breast irradiation (PBI) for women with stage 0, I, or II breast cancer.Lancet. 2019; 394: 2155-2164
- Hypofractionated breast radiotherapy for 1 week versus 3 weeks (FAST-Forward): 5-year efficacy and late normal tissue effects results from a multicentre, non-inferiority, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1613-1626
- Four-year results using balloon-based brachytherapy to deliver accelerated partial breast irradiation with a 2-day dose fractionation schedule.Brachytherapy. 2012; 11: 97-104
- Dosimetric feasibility and acute toxicity in a prospective trial of ultrashort-course accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI) using a multi-lumen balloon brachytherapy device.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 1295-1301
- Six-year results from a phase I/II trial for hypofractionated accelerated partial breast irradiation using a 2-day dose schedule.Am J Clin Oncol. 2018; 41: 986-991
- Three-fraction intracavitary accelerated partial breast brachytherapy: early provider and patient-reported outcomes of a novel regimen.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 104: 75-82
- Three-fraction accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI) delivered with brachytherapy applicators is feasible and safe: first results from the TRIUMPH-T trial.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; 104: 67-74
- ESTRO-ACROP guideline: interstitial multi-catheter breast brachytherapy as accelerated partial breast irradiation alone or as boost - GEC-ESTRO breast cancer working group practical recommendations.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 128: 411-420
- Recommendations from GEC ESTRO Breast Cancer Working Group (II): target definition and target delineation for accelerated or boost partial breast irradiation using multicatheter interstitial brachytherapy after breast conserving open cavity surgery.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 118: 199-204
- Recommendations from GEC ESTRO Breast Cancer Working Group (I): target definition and target delineation for accelerated or boost Partial Breast Irradiation using multicatheter interstitial brachytherapy after breast conserving closed cavity surgery.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 115: 342-348
- Calculation of integrated biological response in brachytherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 38: 633-642
- Biologic comparison of partial breast irradiation protocols.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 60: 1393-1404
- Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie of European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (GEC-ESTRO). GEC-ESTRO multicenter phase 3-trial: accelerated partial breast irradiation with interstitial multicatheter brachytherapy versus external beam whole breast irradiation: early toxicity and patient compliance.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 120: 119-123
- Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie of European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (GEC-ESTRO). Late side-effects and cosmetic results of accelerated partial breast irradiation with interstitial brachytherapy versus whole-breast irradiation after breast-conserving surgery for low-risk invasive and in-situ carcinoma of the female breast: 5-year results of a randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 259-268
- Long term survival and local control outcomes from single dose targeted intraoperative radiotherapy during lumpectomy (TARGIT-IORT) for early breast cancer: TARGIT-A randomised clinical trial.BMJ. 2020; 370: m2836
- Intraoperative radiotherapy versus external radiotherapy for early breast cancer (ELIOT): a randomised controlled equivalence trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 1269-1277
- Five-year oncological outcome after a single fraction of accelerated partial breast irradiation in the elderly.Radiat Oncol. 2019; 14: 234
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation in a single 18 Gy fraction with high-dose-rate brachytherapy: preliminary results.J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2018; 10: 58-63
- 3 fraction pencil-beam scanning proton accelerated partial breast irradiation: early provider and patient reported outcomes of a novel regimen.Radiat Oncol. 2019; 14: 211
- Hypofractionated radiation therapy for invasive breast cancer: from moderate to extreme protocols.Cancer Radiother. 2019; 23: 874-882
Published online: November 19, 2020
Accepted: October 20, 2020
Received in revised form: October 19, 2020
Received: September 5, 2020
Disclosures: All authors have nothing to disclose.
© 2020 American Brachytherapy Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.