Methods and materials
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brachytherapy
- Projections of the cost of cancer care in the United States: 2010-2020.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 117-128
- Cancer's next frontier: addressing high and increasing costs.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1086-1087
- Toward accountable cancer care.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 958-959
- Provider case volume and outcomes following prostate brachytherapy.J Urol. 2009; 181 (discussion 118): 113-118
- Variations in morbidity after radical prostatectomy.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1138-1144
- Declining use of brachytherapy for the treatment of prostate cancer.Brachytherapy. 2014; 13: 157-162
- The rise and fall of prostate brachytherapy: use of brachytherapy for the treatment of localized prostate cancer in the National Cancer Data Base.Cancer. 2014; 120: 2114-2121
- Urologists' use of intensity-modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1629-1637
- Better, smarter, healthier: in historic announcement, HHS sets clear goals and timeline for shifting Medicare reimbursements from volume to value.January 26, 2015 (Available at)Accessed February 17, 2016)
- What is value in health care?.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2477-2481
- Value: a framework for radiation oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2864-2870
- Defining a standard set of patient-centered outcomes for men with localized prostate cancer.Eur Urol. 2015; 67: 460-467
- Better care. Smarter spending. Healthier people: paying providers for value, not volume.January 26, 2015 (Available at)https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2015-Fact-sheets-items/2015-01-26-3.html(Accessed February 17, 2016)
- The strategy that will fix health care.Harvard Business Review, October, 2013 (Available at: https://hbr.org/2013/10/the-strategy-that-will-fix-health-care. Accessed February 17, 2016)
- A strategy for health care reform–toward a value-based system.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 109-112
- Redefining health care.Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA2006
- Time-driven activity-based costing.Harv Bus Rev. 2004; 82 (150): 131-138
- How to solve the cost crisis in health care.Harv Bus Rev. 2011; 89 (54, 56-61 passim): 46-52
- Time-driven activity-based costing in an outpatient clinic environment: development, relevance and managerial impact.Health Policy. 2009; 92: 296-304
- Research misconduct oversight: defining case costs.J Health Care Finance. 2013; 40: 75-99
- A new costing model in hospital management: time-driven activity-based costing system.Health Care Manag (Frederick). 2013; 32: 23-36
- Time-driven activity-based costing: a driver for provider engagement in costing activities and redesign initiatives.Neurosurg Focus. 2014; 37: E3
- Comparative costs of advanced proton and photon radiation therapies: lessons from time-driven activity-based costing in head and neck cancer.J Comp Eff Res. 2015; 4: 297-301
- Establishing high-quality prostate brachytherapy using a phantom simulator training program.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 579-586
- Preoperative treatment planning with intraoperative optimization can achieve consistent high-quality implants in prostate brachytherapy.Med Dosim. 2012; 37: 387-390
- Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Version 4.0. NIH Publication No. 09-5410.2009 (Available at)Accessed February 17, 2016)
- Measuring symptoms in localized prostate cancer: a systematic review of assessment instruments.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013; 16: 111-122
- Development and validation of the expanded prostate cancer index composite (EPIC) for comprehensive assessment of health-related quality of life in men with prostate cancer.Urology. 2000; 56: 899-905
- Sexual potency preservation and quality of life after prostate brachytherapy and low-dose tadalafil.Brachytherapy. 2014; 14: 160-165
- Defining biochemical failure following radiotherapy with or without hormonal therapy in men with clinically localized prostate cancer: recommendations of the RTOG-ASTRO Phoenix Consensus Conference.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 65: 965-974
- Proton beam therapy for the treatment of prostate cancer.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2013; 3: e87-e94
- Value-based health care delivery.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 503-509
- An assessment of quality of life following radical prostatectomy, high dose external beam radiation therapy and brachytherapy iodine implantation as monotherapies for localized prostate cancer.J Urol. 2007; 177 (discussion 2156): 2151-2156
- Minimally important difference for the expanded prostate Cancer Index composite short Form.Urology. 2015; 85: 101-105
- Measuring the value of process improvement initiatives in a preoperative assessment center using time-driven activity based costing.Healthc. 2013; 1: 136-142
- Defining the value of proton therapy in an evolving healthcare system using time-driven activity-based costing.Oncol Payers. 2014; 1 (Policy Makers, and Prescribers): 22-28
Kaplan R, Blackstone RP, Haas DA, et al. Measuring and communicating health care value with charts. Available at. https://hbr.org/2015/10/measuring-and-communicating-health-care-value-with-charts. Accessed February 17, 2016.
- Comparison of health-related quality of life 5 years after SPIRIT: surgical prostatectomy versus interstitial radiation intervention trial.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 362-368
- Handful of cancer centers exempt from prospective payment system.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1991; 83: 907-908
- Perspectives of quality care in cancer treatment: a review of the literature.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2013; 6: 321-329
- Timeliness of adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III adenocarcinoma of the colon: a measure of quality of care.Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2013; 12: 275-279
- Reporting of quality measures in gynecologic oncology programs at prospective payment system (PPS)-exempt cancer hospitals: an early glimpse into a challenging initiative.Gynecol Oncol. 2013; 130: 403-406
- Patient-reported outcomes (PROs): putting the patient perspective in patient-centered outcomes research.Med Care. 2013; 51: S73-S79
- Improving value with TDABC.Healthc Financ Manage. 2014; 68: 76-83
- Using time-driven activity-based costing to identify value improvement opportunities in healthcare.J Healthc Manag. 2014; 59: 399-412
Medical Necessity and the Affordable Care Act; 2014. Available at. http://www.miramedgs.com/news/alerts/88-medical-necessity-and-the-affordable-care-act. Accessed February 17, 2016.
National Quality Forum. National Quality Forum Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs) Workshop #1 July 30-31, 2012. Workshop Summary. Available at. https://www.qualityforum.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=71827. Accessed February 17, 2016.
- Sexual function and the use of medical devices or drugs to optimize potency after prostate brachytherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: e765-e771
- Developing a system to track meaningful outcome measures in head and neck cancer treatment.Head Neck. 2014; 36: 226-230
Financial disclosure: This work was supported in part by the Cancer Center Support Grant (NCI Grant P30 CA016672).
Conflict of interest: SJF received an honorarium from and is a consultant for Varian Medical Systems and is a cofounder and director of C4 Imaging.